We use our own and third-party cookies to optimize your experience on this site, including to maintain user sessions. Without these cookies our site will not function well. If you continue browsing our site we take that to mean that you understand and accept how we use the cookies. If you wish to decline our cookies we will redirect you to Google.
Already have an account? Sign in.

 Remember Me | Forgot Your Password?

Nuts – Especially Walnuts – Significantly Reduce Risks Of Cardiovascular And Cancer Death

July 16, 2013: 12:00 AM EST
Researchers in Spain who compared the effect of a Mediterranean diet (with extra virgin olive oil and nuts) to a simply low-fat diet among 7,000 older people found that people who eat nuts, especially walnuts, tend to live longer. Those who followed the Mediterranean diet, and ate nuts at least three times a week, had a lower BMI and smaller waist, were less likely to smoke and more likely to be physically active. Nut eaters were less likely to have type 2 diabetes and hypertension, and had a 39 percent lower mortality risk (walnut eaters had a 45 percent lower risk). Those who ate three servings (one ounce per serving) a week of nuts reduced the chances of death due to cardiovascular disease by 55 percent and to cancer by 40 percent.
Marta Guasch-Ferré et al., "Frequency of nut consumption and mortality risk in the PREDIMED nutrition intervention trial", BMC Medicine, July 16, 2013, © Guasch-Ferré et al.
Food & Nutrition
Heart & Cardiovascular
Preventative Care
Other Food & Nutrition
Cancer & Cancer Prevention
Research, Studies, Advice
Developed by Yuri Ingultsov Software Lab.