We use our own and third-party cookies to optimize your experience on this site, including to maintain user sessions. Without these cookies our site will not function well. If you continue browsing our site we take that to mean that you understand and accept how we use the cookies. If you wish to decline our cookies we will redirect you to Google.
Already have an account? Sign in.

 Remember Me | Forgot Your Password?

Small Elliptical Device Provides An Answer To Weight Gains From Sedentary Lifestyle

January 22, 2014: 12:00 AM EST
Sedentary Americans – those who spend on average 11 hours a day watching TV or using a computer – would definitely benefit from using a small elliptical machine every day, a U.S. study finds. Thirty-two participants in the study used a small elliptical device while sitting in a standard office chair. Measurements of calories burned, heart rate and other biometrics found that 86 percent burned enough calories in an hour to prevent weight gain. The other 14 percent would have accomplished the same had they pedaled a little faster. Daily use of the elliptical device for an hour might result in a weight loss of 5.2 pounds per year.
Liza S. Rovniak et al., "Feasibility of using a compact elliptical device to increase energy expenditure during sedentary activities", Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport, January 22, 2014, © Sports Medicine Australia
Dieting & Weight Control
Fitness & Exercise
Heart & Cardiovascular
North America
United States of America
Research, Studies, Advice
Developed by Yuri Ingultsov Software Lab.